Skill-Building Course Release
Why Participate in This Program?
Scholars in full-time academic jobs have obligations to teaching, research, and service, limiting their ability to keep up with the latest methodological enhancements to their fields. Participants receive a course off in order to take a quantitative theoretical or empirical course at Emory. Please see Emory's quantitative courses*.
- Approval from the faculty member's department chair and the faculty member teaching the desired quantitative course.
- The course must be taken the semester the leave is granted.
- Applicant must indicate whether he or she wishes to take the course to enhance their research or teaching. If the former, a participant must provide a completed research project using that new skill within one academic calendar year of completing the leave program. If the latter, a participant must demonstrate how the new skill has been integrated into his or her teaching.
- If the relevant condition is not met, the participant will owe the course back to his or her department.
- Participants are expected to participate fully in their chosen course - attend class, do all reading and homework, and take the exams.
*Information is subject to change